Call for Applications for a Joint Postdoctoral Fellowship in Law (Budapest)
- Location: Budapest, Hungary
- Position: Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Salary: 506,350 HUF per month before taxes (plus accommodation)
- Hours: Full time
- Contract: Temporary
- Begins: September 2019
- Ends: June 2020
Aim of the call for applications
The Hungarian Academy of Sciences Centre for Social Sciences Institute for Legal Studies (hereinafter HAS CSS ILS) and the Pázmány Péter Catholic University Faculty of Law and Political Sciences (hereinafter Pázmány Law) have established this joint fellowship programme in order to enhance their international competitiveness in research and education through involving postdoctoral foreign researchers in their academic work. The programme will be due for a period of 10 months.
Postdoctoral researchers with a professional level of English language knowledge are invited to apply for a fellowship programme at the HAS CSS ILS and Pázmány Law. Knowledge of Hungarian is not required.
The applicant is expected to:
- develop and provide at least four graduate level lectures per week that are each a minimum of 45 minutes in duration at Pázmány Law;
- actively participate in the most important scholarly events and programmes of the HAS CSS ILS and the PPCE FLPS;
- to be present in the Institute for Legal Studies, CSS HAS on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 AM to 5 PM; and
- help to strengthen the international relations of the HAS CSS ILS and Pázmány Law.
Research and teaching topics
Any area of law, with a preference for comparative law, public international law or European law.
In the framework of the fellowship programme, the HAS CSS ILS and Pázmány Law:
- will offer foreign researchers a ‘joint position’ for 10 months at the two host institutions;
- will provide teaching and research facilities;
- will offer 506,350 HUF gross salary per month (approximately 335,000 HUF after taxes);
- will provide accommodation;
- will provide an opportunity for renowned researchers to further develop their scholarly activity and experience at our institutions; and
- will ensure that foreign researchers are fully involved in the scholarly work of the institutions and are able to participate in scholarly events and programmes.
The selected applicant will be employed from September 2, 2019 to June 30, 2020 in joint positions at the HAS CSS ILS (“research fellow”) and the Pázmány Law (“assistant professor”).
Application and selection procedure
The application is processed electronically. To apply, please fill in the application form using this link: https://goo.gl/forms/th0REVvJTK4J35kP2
The application shall include amongst others the applicant’s:
- (1) a short curriculum vitae;
- (2) list of publication;
- (3) electronic versions of one publication the applicant feels best representative of their academic work;
- (4) presentation of ongoing research;
- (5) a proper syllabus of at least two graduate courses to be offered (use the draft enclosed to this call for applications); and
- (6) a motivation letter. The motivation letter should contain: (a) a short research plan; (b) a description as to how the applicant will be affiliated with the host institutions.
The application must be submitted in English.
Applications must be sent no later than 12.00 (CET) on May 31, 2019.
Please take extra care of filling in all obligatory fields. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration, nor those not submitted in English. No legal remedy is possible on substantive grounds regarding the selection process or the results.
Applications will be reviewed by the Director of the HAS CSS ILS and the Vice-Dean of Pázmány Law based on the estimated value of the applicant’s actual research, the significance of the scientific results expected from the cooperation and the anticipated effect of the cooperation on the Hungarian academic community. If necessary, Skype interviews can be arranged.
Successful applications will be approved by the General Director of the HAS CSS and the Dean of the PPCE FLPS based on the ranking of the committee.
The results of the selection process will be communicated to the applicants via e-mail no later than June 15, 2019.
The HAS CSS ILS and the PPCE FLPS will provide the fellowship to the selected researcher through two parallel contracts.